Saturday, October 20, 2012

Adam's Despicable Birthday Party

Adam celebrated his 5th birthday barely 2 weeks after Alpha's Lemonade Party. We weren't planning on throwing a party for him. All we had in mind was a simple dinner with family. But that got chucked out the window pretty fast. With Adam being Adam, we don't get a lot of party invitations or play dates. He's a really sweet guy, and deep down he is like any other boy who likes boy stuff, like blowing birthday cakes, pinatas, and some spaghetti and ice cream. Parties are usually tricky to pull off, since he might end up being overstimulated and not enjoy it at all. So we decided on a small party in school, pretty low key, and we built the theme around something he really really likes.  The little dumpling loves the banana song, he sings it to himself all the time, and would sometimes ask me to mock-punch him during the final BANANAAAA part so he could throw himself over a pile of pillows. There even was a time when he sang the banana song in his sleep. So I locked down on a Minion-themed party. (Okay, he likes dinosaurs too, and numbers, but I was looking forward to dressing my kiddos down as Gru and Agnes, so we, and by "we" I mean "I" decided on a minion party).
Minion Hats

Cookie robots
  These aren't cookie robots like the ones I saw here but they'll do!

Minion Tools

 This is probably the only thing I bought (other than the food) for the party. They are actually pencils with erasers shaped like carpentry tools. I bought them from Divisoria for 100php/dozen. Not bad at all.
Gru
Agnes








Gru's scarf and Agnes' tutu were the only two things I made. The rest of their outfit were already in their closets. Please ignore the loose strands of thread. I did say I only had 10 days to prepare, right? :D

Minion Cake
I don't bake! So I bought this cake, really cheapo. Another benefit of sidelining as a party coordinator. This was a hit! The little dumpling didn't let anyone touch the cake for 2 days! All he'd let us have is the blue icing around the edges. I guess he liked it, huh!


Minion Pinata
This is a really bad Iphone pic taken during nighttime. I followed this tutorial. It's not as pretty, but it'll do!
There were a lot of grinning, happy minions.
Add caption
Gru ate his food all on his own. No help. No leftovers. No flailing arms and sprints around the room in between bites. He just ate like a real boy. :D
 We suck at family pictures. 



We sang birthday songs...


 ... gave presents...

 

 .. took more pictures



... and ate some more! The party was a success! What I love about this party is that I didn't have to clean up afterwards! Yipee! The kids were a riot. Adam was happy. It's one of those rare days when we just felt like we kicked Autism's butt. Everybody couldn't help smiling. Seriously, those kids are really really sweet. They are the best. I love how they couldn't care less if Adam is different. No eye-rolling, no pitiful glances, Not even the look of contained aversion. I am glad that my dumpling is surrounded by these little bright lights.




Thank you for coming to my Despicable Birthday Party!

7 comments: